On30 Scale Gondola Style Excursion Car - White Pass & Yukon. As the American industrial landscape changed in the early-to-mid-20th century, many commodity-reliant narrow gauge railroads survived by tapping into a new source of revenue - tourism. From the Colorado Rockies to the Appalachian Mountains of Pennsylvania, these small regional railroads shifted from being primarily freight haulers to offering scenic excursions from a vantage point otherwise unseen. To facilitate a more immersive experience without incurring prohibitive costs, open cars with bench seating were constructed on existing freight car frames, providing a thrilling 360-degree view for riders. Today cars such as this are commonplace on most tourist railroads, but it was the endangered narrow gauge railroads with forward-thinking strategies that pioneered this popular style.
- highly detailed painted bodies with precision graphics
- scale seating and slatted wood-style flooring
- separately-applied railings and brake wheel
- magnetically operated E-Z Mate® Mark II couplers
- blackened machined metal wheels
- O Scale model runs on HO track